Thursday 7 September 2017

A Smokey Walk on the Beach carrying all our Kite Gear

Roosevelt Park - looking at Arlington
I left Coeur D'Alene around 7:30am, stopped in Ritzville for a McDonald's Breakfast, and arrived in Hood River just after noon.

I have never driven through such thick smoke, which got worse as I approached Hood River.  I drove up the Washington side as a precaution, as I had heard that part of I84 was closed. It was an easy drive.

If you look closely you can see the windmills.
I stopped at Roosevelt for a quick break.  The water was calm - the smoke was thick.
Another view of Arlington from Roosevelt!
On the way to Ross's condo, I met Al who was walking home from shopping.  Ross was at the Condo, and Mike arrived a few minutes later.
View of the Hood River Bridge from the Event Site
The River was calm, and smoke was thick, so there was no rush to go sailing.  We walked down to New York Sub for lunch - it was excellent.

After lunch, the wind started to pick up, which also meant the smoke increased.  Al went to Luhr Jenson Park and got some rides on his 6.5m Sail.  Ross, Mike and I went to the Event site to try some kiting.  It was a little intimidating with all the smoke.  You could hardly see the other side of the river.  The wind was gusty and light and then shut off, to allow Al to have a swim with his gear.
View from the Event Site - where did Washington go?
Ross and I walked way out on the sandbar with our kites.  Not sure how strong the wind was, we each brought two.  Ross had his 7m and 9m kites, and I brought down my 9.5 and 12m kites.

Ross helped me rig, giving me pointers and checking my lines.  I went out on the 12m kite but didn't have enough power to get going.  Ross went out on his 9m kite and made it work, but just.  Mike came down to watch and then went back to get his rig.  He brought Ross his 11m kite and a 12m foil kite for himself.  Unfortunately, the wind had dropped a bit, so neither worked.  We packed up and went back to the Condo for a beer.

View from the Event Site looking at the Sandbar
While we were having beer (and later Thai for supper), the neighbour came out and told us the Sherif had told him that if the winds pick up overnight as they were forecast to, there was a possibility that we might be evacuated.  Wow - we hadn't expected that!
Ross said he used two kites, but he had three on the beach!
Fortunately, the winds didn't pick up over night as expected.  (I can't believe I was happy that it wasn't windy, but it is a huge issue here with the fires.)  All of the biking trails are closed, and there is no hiking or equestrian in most of Hood River County.   If you haven't left yet - don't bother with your mountain bike.

I hate to say it, but the forecast doesn't look great - with all the smoke, it is really screwing up all of the thermal winds.  I guess we can always hope for the best....

It is always fun listening to Mike and Ross, both of whom are experts in almost everything, (and they are)... but when they disagree, and they are both right - it makes for interesting conversation.
Ross and Mike - both right - arguing about whether the turbo aftercooler is cooled by air or fluid......
After hearing the argument all afternoon, the answer is that there are some of both.....




No comments:

Post a Comment