Friday 8 September 2017

Arrival!

We had a lazy start today.  Surprisingly, the air was much clearer today.  Al, Mike, Ross and I sat in the condo and had coffee (tea for me) until we convinced Ross to make breakfast.  Mike had some eggs and sausages in his motorhome so he brought them in and Ross made an amazing breakfast.  He tells us that the secret to perfect scrambled eggs is to use lots of butter.
The view from Ross's Deck on a cloudy day last year!

The view from Ross's deck today.
We heard that Rene and Kent were close, and were going straight to Big Winds, so I headed down there to watch the show.......

The Big Winds guys, Eddy and  Mark were happy to see me.  Gerry and Eddy arrived - great to see them.

Rene had ordered a new board and bag.  When Kent and Rene walked through the doors, Rene was so focused on getting his board, that he walked right past all of us like we were strangers, and went right up to Mark, who was talking with us, interrupted and asked about his board.  He didn't look at any of us or speak to us until after his board had been brought out and taken out of the bag.  I finally went up and said RENE - aren't you going to say hello?  Big grin and then a warm handshake.
Rene - happy to get his new Foil Board.
The board is specifically designed for foiling.  Very wide, with lots of volume.  Should be perfect.

Gerry and I wandered over to the Gorge Surf Shop to talk with Scott, who had been in Costa Rica last winter.  He was full of energy, stories, and opinions as usual!

There was some wind, so we went over to the event site - Kent and Rene were both anxious to get foiling.
Kent can't wait to get going!

Rene - rigging his new board!

Mike, Gerry, Eddy, Blaine and Ross
Blaine and Brad arrived during the "rig fest".  We all sat around to watch.  Eventually, the wind started to pick up.

Eddy and Gerry
Al, Blaine, Brad, and Gerry went out to the family park and sailed their big gear!  It wasn't the most exciting sailing, but there some overpowered moments.  Everyone was tired by the end of the day.

Ross, Eddy and I went over to White Salmon to Kite.  The wind was up and down.   Ross started on his 11m , and then switched to his 9m.  Eddy started on his 12 and then switched to his 10.  I waited and watched, because it didn't look like enough wind at first for me, but when they started rigging down, I took out my 12.
Eddy - ready for some kiting
 I started out doing quite well.  I was making a few transitions, and having no trouble staying upwind.
Then.... all of a sudden I wasn't hooked in anymore.  The Chicken loop was hanging open.  I was still in control but fully powered.  I managed to reconnect the chicken loop, but when I pulled in the bar, the lines must have crossed some how.  The kite started to spiral and drag me downwind.  I tried to reach to either release the safety, or pull one of the lines - then my second safety broke and the kite left me - everything then stopped.  It was an exciting few minutes, but after the kite departed, everything got calm.  I had my life jacket on and the water was warm.  No worries, other than potentially a long slow swim.

A fellow came by right away to ask if I was OK.  He saw that I had a life jacket, so asked if I wanted him to rescue me or my kite.  I asked him to rescue the kite - please.
Then Dale cooked foiled by to ask if I was OK.  I said I was, so he sailed back and found my board.  It was drifting downwind faster than I could swim, so he held it in place until I could get to it.  He apologized that he couldn't help much because of the foil board - no worries.

Then Ross came by to help.  I held his harness with one hand and my board with the other, and he dragged me to the Event Site.

It was a Three Person Rescue - Kiting seems to be a real team sport.   I am wondering if it is really the sport for me - I would like to have a few sessions without having all these issues.  I was doing so well before everything went wrong.......

I sat at the Event site and talked to Rene, watching Kent and the other foilers, until Ross and Eddy were finished sailing and then drove my van back.
Eddy and Ross - walking down to White Salmon with their gear!
We went to Solstice for supper, where Alex joined us, and then went back to Ross's condo.  Jim, Cam and Harold then showed up.  I think we are all here now - 14 of us.  The conversation continued until after midnight,  It is great to have everyone together again.


No comments:

Post a Comment