Monday 11 September 2017

Sunday - More wind that forecast!

It looked like a lazy, no wind, day.  Blaine was thinking about a bike ride, although with all the smoke around I think he must be crazy.  I thought I would have lots of time to work on my Blog during the day, so didn't get going on it early.....  That is why it wasn't posted until late in the day.
Blaine - re-hydrating!
Rene and Kent wanted to go foiling.  They headed to the Event site early, but there was no wind at all, so they moved to Swell City.  Just before 9, I got a text message from Kent.  "Rigging 4.8m at Swell!  I headed over along with most of the other guy's.  Contrary to the forecast, it was blowing hard.  Most of the guys went out on 4.7 or 4.8m Sails.  Mike was on 5.3, and Rene and I were on 5.6.

Brenda was there to collect the parking fee. Rene and Gerry were happy to be sailing! (and to pay)
I had the best sailing session of the trip - probably the year.  My jibes were working, I was fully powered, the wind was steady and almost solid right across the river.  I was out on my 5.6 and Nash board, and then after the wind lightened up, I took out my Shark.  It is a nice floaty board, so if I sailed out of the wind I could still stand on the board and make my jibe.  Hey - I must have looked just like Harold....
My 5.6 and Shark - relaxed sailing!
What a morning!

Harold and Jim were late to arrive at around 11:30, so missed the best part,.  Harold was just vibrating - anxious to get on the water.  They still had a good sail.

Most of us stayed out until after 1:00, although Harold and Blaine eeked out the last bit of wind until almost 3:00.
Gerry, Blaine and Handre
Ross, Cam, Alex and Eddy went to the White Salmon Bridge to kitesurf at around 11:00.  The wind filled in for them and they had a great session.  Ross was on his 7m kite.  Not sure about the others.  Ross said that Alex was ripping it up with big smiles on her kite.

As the last sailors were coming off the water at swell, Kent and Jim (from Sailworks), headed out on their foils.  Apparently, Kent learned that he is not yet ready for swells, but at least learned what he needs to practice so that he will be able to do better at it next time....
Mike - after a great session!
I went into town and stopped at Windance, where I purchased a foil.  What the heck - if you can't beat them, you need to join them.  Unfortunately, I need to purchase some different bolts to make it work with my board so I won't be able to sail it until tomorrow at the earliest.  I just hope I can make it work in my lake..  oh well, it should be easy to sell it in the spring if it doesn't.

A concrete windsurfer hidden in the bush at Swell City.
Courtesy of Scottie
Around 4:00, Kent and Rene headed back to the Event Site, where, you guessed it, they went foiling again.  The rest of us sat around and watched until it was time to go for supper.

About half of us went to Sixth Street, while the others, mostly kiters, went to Everybody's in White Salmon.

What a great day, considering there wasn't supposed to be any wind!

Gerry with his new van!

Blaine and Gerry

The Columbia Windsurfing Association has built a
nice concrete ramp down to the water at Swell.


No comments:

Post a Comment